Important Facts To Know About Black Mold

Water damage in the home can be dangerous due to the mold that develops. Some people are extremely allergic to mold spores, while others find that mold spores are irritants that trigger asthma attacks. There is also the possibility of black mold forming in your home. Black mold is dangerous, but it is highly misunderstood. Keep reading to learn about some facts about the mold to understand why it may be dangerous.

Black Mold Is Toxigenic

Many believe say that black mold is toxic. However, this is not true. The mold, which is typically the strain Stachybotrys chartarum, is toxigenic. Toxic is a term used to indicate that something is poisonous, but this is not true of mold spores as they do not poison the body when inhaled. Instead, the mold is toxigenic which means that it produces a toxic substance. In the case of Stachybotrys chartarum, the substance is called a mycotoxin. Mycotoxins are metabolites created by the mold. 

While it may seem a bit nitpicky to say that black mold is not toxic, it is an important distinction. Basically, the mold creates the toxin and it must cling to a wet surface, grow, and spread to do so. In other words, you will only be exposed to toxic substances once you see the mold starting to grow. The more mold, the more mycotoxins that you are exposed to. Like mold spores, the substances will be released into the air, so this is why it is wise to leave mold alone once you see that it has developed. An experienced water damage expert should handle the fungi. 

You should know that mycotoxins are likely to produce symptoms over a period of time once you become exposed. However, some individuals have extreme reactions to the toxic materials, so you should not wait if you see mold.

Black Mold Is Not Rare

While many people think of black mold as a rarity that only develops in certain homes. This is not true though. Like other mold spores, Stachybotrys chartarumis not rare. However, it is not nearly as common as molds like the Aspergillus variety.

Since black mold or Stachybotrys chartarum is not rare, you should suspect its presence if you see a great deal of greenish-black or dark green mold in your home. It is likely that many strains are present, and more than one may be a variety that produces mycotoxins. In fact, Stachybotrys chartarum can appear white or pink depending on the environment. Other dangerous molds can appear green, yellow, brown, black, or another color. While testing can be completed to determine the types of mold that are growing in your home, it is much better to simply work with someone who can safely remove it, such as from Puroclean Certified Restoration Specialist.